.Net Core Integration

The documentation for the C# SDK says that NET 4.5.2 or later is needed. Is there/will there be the addition of .NET Core 2.x support?

Hi Tendai. Official .NET Core support is currently not on the road-map but porting the library to .NET Core shouldn’t be too hard. You can add the request to the feature requests section so that we can assess the community appetite for it and then assign resources to it once they become available. Alternatively, you might just find a .Net Core badass dev in the community who would be willing to start work on the port with you :yum:

Was the decision to port the SDK to .Net ever taken. It is very much something I think I would be interested in contributing to.

Please note, although the .NET SDK project targets .NET Framework 4.5.2, the code is directly compatible with .NET Core 2.0+ and may be used without any change in a .NET Core 2.0+ application

Will it run in a Linux environment?

Most certainly. Please see a list of pre-requisites for running .NET Core 2.0 applications on the various Linux distributions here

Please note that I am not referring to dotnet core. I am referring to the SDK… and maybe I am at fault for not making myself clear. The premise for my suggestion to develop a dotnet core version of the SDK is so that it can be used in Linux environments (unless that is already the case). So to rephrase my question… Will the existing Paynow SDK work well with dotnet core when it is in a Linux environment.

The only thing you’d need to change to compile the SDK for use in any supported .NET Core environment would be the target framework of the project (just copy and paste the code modules into a .NET Core targeted project) The dependencies used are all part of the standard .NET libraries for which there are existing ports to .NET framework and .NET core.

That is not completely true. There are dependencies that are not standard .NET in the project. In some cases there are differences in the standard libraries as well. And is that whole process of changing the target framework and identifying unsupported packages not what we refer to as porting?

Hi Michael

There are dependencies that are not standard .NET in the project.

Please let me know an example of a dependency you’re referring to?

And is that whole process of changing the target framework and identifying unsupported packages not what we refer to as porting?

Absolutely, however, my .NET Core compilations of the same SDK that was targetting .NET Framework before run on Linux using .NET Core dependencies. Hence Im interested to know which dependencies you’re seeing as problematic so I can take a look a bit deeper